Sunday, March 02, 2008

Laundry Stairs






Here are some photos of the project I have been working on for a few days - the back stair from the kitchen to the laundry room & garage. While I did not use particularly sustainable materials for this project, I did want something that will be easily cleaned and that will last for a long time. The stair treads and risers are a thick, industrial grade vinyl (I think that the package nearly broke our UPS driver's back when he dropped it off at the winery!) The flooring tiles are the cheap but durable industrial vinyl tiles that you might recognize from schools, hospitals, etc... I finished trimming everything out today, and it all fits snugly and feels good underfoot. I did my first baseboards in conjunction with the project - it is going to be a bit of a learning curve! I wasted about 3 pieces of baseboard making the cuts, but I think I have it figured out now. The 'chop saw' that I bought is going to come in very handy over the next months!

I particularly like how the magnetic door stop works - thanks to Amy for helping me pick it out! It can hold the door open, for when you are carrying in groceries or other tasks, and protects the wall from the doorknob at the same time. (This is important - we have already had to have Jason, the drywall guy, repair that spot a couple times, when appliances were delivered, or when just in the course of the day the door knob gets slammed into the wall.)

No comments: