Saturday, April 05, 2008

'Mama Dip's Country Kitchen' Chapel Hill, NC

My flight was delayed so I had time to stop at 'Mama Dip's Country Kitchen' in Chapel Hill for breakfast. Grits, homemade biscuits, jam and two eggs with country ham. It was tasty.

Country ham is a kind of salty, rustic cousin of prosciutto, or Jamòn Serrano, made by packing the raw hindquarter of the pig in salt for a period of time before hanging it to cure over the winter, losing moisture and gaining complex flavors as enzymatic fermentations transform the flesh. The exterior of the ham can develop a lush growth of fungus, like some cheeses, or like Italian Soppressata. I saw some of these at a farmers co-op in Raleigh, but forgot to take a photo. Sometimes they are smoked, but I think that they are traditionally raw cured, and I suppose there is a lot of regional variation and individual secret recipes.

By the way, this is an entirely text messaged post, so now is a great time for you to be suitably impressed at my newfound texting prowess! Now off to Philly, Phoenix, then SBP!

No comments: