Thursday, February 14, 2008

Passed down traditions, ancient methods


I had to go to the doctor's office yesterday, (frighteningly, my doctor's name is Dr. Robert Klaw, MD, but he is actually a good guy,) in order to get a prescription for chloroquine medicine (anti-malarial) in preparation for El Salvador.

While I was waiting, I was checking out the decor in the exam room - charts of acupuncture points all over the body. When the doctor arrived, I asked him if he practiced acupuncture. He said that he did, more as an interest than as a professional pursuit.

I think this is pretty cool. My doctor can be a man of science, keeping up on the latest developments in western medicine and treatment options, and still be a man of passed-down traditions, ancient methods, and belief in the validity of the unprovable.

(Seems very much like being a winemaker!)

No comments: