Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stairway Project



Dad helped me with the stairway project, building the facing boards that we need in place so that the carpet guy could do his installation. We are going with the basic design that I drew up, I am excited, I think it will make for a really stunning entry feature when it is done. The newell posts, handrails, and cap boards are made from Bamboo, which will simply be sanded smooth and oiled lightly to show off their natural beauty. The infill will be stainless steel cables, which should make for a clean, modern feel; industrial but still delicate.


The bamboo lumber arrived yesterday. It is beautiful; the posts are glued up from smaller pieces, and the end grain has such an intricate checkerboard pattern that it would be a shame to router it out. I think I will likewise leave it fairly square, and just oil it lightly. I don't think that the light was very good when I took these pics, but you might get a sense of it anyway.

The company that the bamboo posts came from was 4 Winds Bamboo, in Boulder Colorado. Jason Liu, the owner, was very helpful and quick to ship. I am very satisfied on this end. http://www.4windsbamboo.com/

No comments: